Friday, October 23, 2009

Patience...


I have had one of the most adventurous, fun filled and painful years to date; I have been plagued by injury upon injury casting self doubt over every event I decide to enter this year. Once I recovered from one injury another occurred; I’m just having large amounts of bad luck. I can’t tell you everything that has been going on in my life but some things are visible for all to see. I’ve enjoyed so many high points this year, finishing my first Half Ironman distance in April to trail running in the beautiful mountains of Utah. The memory I cherish the most was trail running/walking all 5 peaks of Mission Trails in one day, completing the 18+ miles in 5 hours, what an adventure and so much fun. I mention this particular event only because it occurred after my tendon finally healed from a night time trail run I had done in November 2008.

Last night after finally feeling better after a month of no running because of hamstring issues I decided to go climbing at a local climbing gym in San Diego. While doing some bouldering I slipped, feel, and landed wrong on my left leg sending pain up my thigh. You could only imagine all the things that were going through my mind but the main one was “not again!” I set on the mat with friends standing around me unaware of the pain I was experiencing thinking to myself, I have been defeated! I climb one mountain and another is always behind it. I’m hurting badly today and have no idea what’s wrong with my leg and it’s so hard to stay positive but I must. St. George training in knocking on my door and time is not on my side…not just with training but with life in general. I have come to terms with the fact that I’m getting older and I don’t heal as fast as I did when I was 26. Patience in life, I have no choice but to have. Giving up, not a chance. Listening to the voices in my head that tell me my dreams are too big, I say silence!

No comments:

Post a Comment