Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What Motivates Me?

I was asked that question recently and really couldn't give an answer straight away; I really had to sit and think about it. I enjoy what I'm doing and when I don't feel any sort of joy I'll stop...

When I compete I compete for me. I'm not trying t prove anything to anyone, I'm not even trying to place...I just want that feeling of accomplishment; I know that feeling is what keeps me going.

When I wake up race morning I consider that a challenge, it's so easy to say...I can't or why bother. But to get up when it's still dark, put on a tri suit and grab my gear that in itself is an accomplishment. When that buzzer goes off, I take one swim stroke, one pedal stroke, and one foot in front of the other until I cross that finish line. When I cross it and look back on my experience I realize I had a blast! It was so much fun, regardless of the pain and mental anguish...when it comes right down to it I had a good time. That's my motivation, that's what keeps me going, that good feeling I have after a race...that feeling of wow, I didn't think I could do that.

I will continue to race as long as it's fun and after that I'll find something else that interest me and give me a feeling of accomplishment.

1 comment: